By Kelly McClure
The people you work with have a huge impact on the work you do every day. Having co-workers who you get along with can increase your work performance, satisfaction, and even your motivation to do your job well.
What can you do when you find yourself in a situation where you don’t get along with your co-workers? A great way to improve your working environment is to work on improving your own mindset. Here are five tips to improve yourself and hopefully your work environment:
- Communicate – Be the communicator you want your co-workers and leaders to be. Communicate changes, ask questions when there are gray areas, and communicate your expectations for yourself and others.
- Listen – While communication is important so is taking time to listen and receive information from your co-workers. Actively listening to others will build trust and confidence.
- Be Teachable – No one is perfect or “has arrived” so to speak. Being flexible and teachable is so important when it comes to working on a team. Receiving feedback will help you be perceived as approachable by your co-workers.
- Be Authentic – Another word for authentic is genuine. People can tell when someone is being genuine or disingenuous. If you share your true character with your co-workers it will be much easier for them to open up in a genuine manner.
- Be Professional – If you wouldn’t do or say something with the highest executive within the organization present, you probably shouldn’t be doing or saying it! It’s sometimes that simple.